Women’s Team Dominate
SAVANNAH, Ga. – The University of Tampa women’s swimming team traveled north and picked up a lopsided victory over Savannah College of Art & Design (SCAD).
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa Spartans 162, SCAD Bees 100
Location: Chatham County Aquatic Center | Savannah, Ga.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
• Tampa took first-place finishes in eight of the 14 women’s events.
• Both women’s relay races resulted in first-place efforts by the Spartans.
• The Spartans opened the meet with a first in the 200 Medley Relay from Brittany Murphy, McKenzie Street, Sophie Long and Marisa Barton. They were clocked at 1:49.20.
• Brittany Bayes was the winner of the 1,000 Free as her time was 10:42.10. She also took the 500 Free with an effort of 5:11.85.
• Street continued her excellent season with another dominant meet, also winning the 100 Breast (1:07.13), 200 Breast (2:24.82) and the 400 IM (4:39.30).
• UT had the top four finishers in the 50 Free as Barton won in 24.52. Finishing second and third respectively were Molly O’Hara (25.02) and Megan Waddell (25.14).
• In the 100 Fly, Long won with a time of 58.07.
• Tampa concluded the race with a first-place finish in the 200 Free Relay. The winning time of 1:38.57 was registered by Barton, O’Hara, Waddell and Murphy.
Tampa Men Win Again
The University of Tampa men’s swimming team traveled north and picked up an easy victory over Savannah College of Art & Design (SCAD).
HOW IT HAPPENED:
• Tampa took first-place finishes in eight of the 14 men’s events.
• Both men’s relay races resulted in first-place efforts by the Spartans.
• The Spartans opened the men’s action with a first-place showing in the 200 Medley Relay with a time of 1:34.34 by the team of Ethan Harrington, Stefano Vrolijk, Marc-Olivier Caron and Martin Hammer.
• Vrolijk also won the 100 Breast (58.77) and was followed by teammates Cooper Holmes (59.44) and Nicholas Stoski (59.61). Vrolijk would later add a top finish in the 200 Breast after being timed at 2:09.54.
• Tampa had swimmers in the top four spots of the 200 Back, which was won by Brett Saunders (1:53.07).
• UT’s Caron added a first-place effort in the 100 Fly, being timed at 50.89.
• In the final event of the meet, Tampa’s group of Hammer, Caron, Mattingly and James logged a first-place time of 1:23.49.
The Spartans return to action against Sunshine State Conference opponent Florida Tech on Saturday, January 21. The meet is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m.