From Tampa Spartans
MELBOURNE, Fla. – The University of Tampa took both Sunshine State Conference Swimmer of the Week awards, as Marc-Olivier Caron and McKenzie Street were each recognized for their performances against William Jewell College on January 1.
Caron claimed first place in a pair of relays and individual races during a New Year’s Day victory over William Jewell. The Quebec native was part of the 200 Medley Relay and 200 Free Relay teams that registered first-place efforts. Caron also won the 100 Fly (51.34) and the 50 Fly (23.26).
In a win over William Jewell on New Year’s Day, Street opened the meet with a 200 Medley Relay first-place finish. The Norwood, Pennsylvania product also won three individual races, taking first in the 50 Breast (31.55), 100 Breast (1:09.10) and the 100 IM (1:03.36).
Sunshine State Conference Athletes of the Week are chosen from a pool of nominees for their performances during the week of December 26, 2016 – January 1, 2017. Athletes are nominated by Sports Information Directors of member institutions.
2016-17 SSC Swimmers of the Week (Men; Women)
Oct. 10: Hunter Bains, Saint Leo; None
Oct. 16: Victor Furtado, Florida Tech; Nicole Weber, Saint Leo
Oct. 24: Marco Aldabe, Nova Southeastern; Malin Westman, Nova Southeastern
Oct. 31: Jan Urbaniack, Saint Leo; Natalia Garriock, Saint Leo
Nov. 7: Marco Palacios, Florida Southern; Peyton Breault, Florida Southern
Nov. 14: Tomas Manso-Fraga, Tampa; Catherine Bayes, Tampa
Nov. 21: Victor Furtado, Florida Tech; Natalia Garriock, Saint Leo
Dec. 5: None; Catalina Berraud-Galea, Lynn
Dec. 20: Franco Lupoli, Nova Southeastern; Emma Wahlstrom, Nova Southeastern
Jan. 1: Marc-Olivier Caron,Tampa; McKenzie Street, Tampa
UT Women Crush William Jewell in New Year’s Race
TAMPA, Fla. – The University of Tampa women’s swimming team returned to action with an easy victory over visiting William Jewell College in a New Year’s Day matchup.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
• Tampa claimed first-place in all 13 races on Sunday.
• UT won both relay events.
• The Spartans opened and closed the meet with first-place relay efforts. The 200 Medley Relay team of Catherine Bayes, McKenzie Street, Victoria Horsman and Marisa Barton won in 1:51.21. The 200 Free Relay group of Barton, Courtney Markle, Megan Waddell and Brittany Murphy won in 1:41.42.
• Brittany Bayes was first in the 200 Free with an effort of 1:59.25, and the 500 Free with a showing of 5:13.82.
• The Spartans collected a first-place finish in the 50 Back from Murphy, who was clocked at 28.38.
• The 50 Breast went to Street, who was timed at 31.55. She also took the 100 Breast in 1:09.10 and the 100 IM in 1:03.36.
• Horsman championed the 100 Fly with a time of 1:00.40 and the 50 Fly in 27.85.
• In addition to a pair of first-place relay finishes, Barton won the 50 Free in 24.89 and the 100 Free in 55.47.
• C. Bayes won the 100 Back with a time of 1:02.73.
Spartan Men’s Swimming Rings in New Year With Win
TAMPA, Fla. – The University of Tampa men’s swimming team returned to action with an easy victory over visiting William Jewell College in a New Year’s Day matchup.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
• Tampa took first-place in eight of the 13 races on Sunday.
• UT also claimed first in both relay events.
• The Spartans opened and closed the meet with first-place relay efforts. The 200 Medley Relay team of Christian Berg, Nicholas Stoski, Marc-Olivier Caron and Aaron James won in 1:37.44. The 200 Free Relay group of Caron, James, Bryan Mattingly and Zach Potter won in 1:27.34.
• Berg also took first in the 50 Back with a time of 25.06.
• The 100 Fly was won by Caron, who was clocked at 51.34. He also won the 50 Fly in 23.26.
• UT had a first-place time of 55.34 in the 100 Back by Dominic Russo.
• Freshman Brett Saunders won the 100 Breast in 1:00.44 and the 100 IM in 53.17.
Tampa travels to Fort Pierce on Friday for a matchup with Indian River State College.